The Challenge to Change

 

February 20, 2024


Faculty Focus

Hi!  How is each and every one?  I realize I missed mentioning in the last post that I was going to do my spiritual retreat from February 14 to today, February 20.  I did remember to keep all of you in my prayers those days.  Was also glad to learn about the Holy Father’s scheduled retreat February 18 to the 24th with the curia. I welcomed the opportunity to be ever more united to the Holy Father’s person and intentions. It was also an opportunity to pray for so many persons who somehow make the Holy Father the subject or object of their negativities, irregularities and prejudices. Understand them and forgive them for they do not know what they are doing and saying.  Obviously they need prayers to understand themselves and forgive themselves as well.  They will be happier when they do so.  Let us pray for each and every one.

 Indeed we are in the season of Lent.  Isn’t it the most opportune time to follow Jesus in His passion and death on the Cross? To carry the Cross of our sins with Him who is pure innocence and absolute Love?

Personally I find the following excerpt on how to go about our divine longings (From Broken Gods, Hope, Healing, and the Seven Longings of the Human Heart, Gregory K. Popcak, Ph. D. Ch 3) so helpful in the situation we find ourselves at the moment of renewing ourselves for the better.

 COAL:  The Fuel for Change        

As I mentioned above neuroscience suggests that our brains become more receptive to changing when we adopt an attitude of curiosity, openness, acceptance, and love toward life in general, but especially toward our failings (Siegel, 2007; 2012).  Let’s briefly consider how fostering each of these qualities can help us cooperate more effectively with God’s transformative grace.

Curiosity

EDUInput

Curiosity refers to a genuine desire to understand.  The opposite of curiosity is judgmentalism.  When most of us fail, we criticize and shame ourselves.  This is Satan’s way of preventing us from asking the deeper questions our failings invite us to consider, namely, “What hurt am I trying to address with this behavior?”  “What is the godly motivation behind my fallen choices?”  Satan does not want us to ask these questions.  He would prefer that we remain ignorant because the answers to these questions point to the seven divine longings, whose true fulfillment propels us toward deification.  When we respond to life with curiosity, we take a gentle, questioning posture toward ourselves.  When we can approach our brokenness with curiosity, we are open to learning something, and God will teach us.  By contrast, judgmentalism slams the door in both God’s and our own faces.  We have nothing to learn.  We already have everything figured out—and everything is bad.

 



Mental Floss

Jimmy has always struggled with procrastination—a form of sloth.  “I used to beat up on myself about it.  When I was a kid, my parents used to get on me about not living up to their expectations and cutting corners.  As an adult, I would often end up showing up late for things, or getting things done at the last minute, or not getting them done at all.  I even lost jobs over it.  Some people said I must have adult ADHD, and I started taking medication for it, but I always felt there was something more to it.  It wasn’t just that I couldn’t focus.  I actually felt myself fighting against getting better.  I resisted being pinned down to commitments.  I refused to even try to keep a schedule.  I wouldn’t write things down even if my life depended on it.  It was weird.


“I used to beat up on myself and say I was just lazy, that people couldn’t count on me.  I was talking about it in confession once, though, and he priest asked me a weird question.  He said, ‘Have you ever asked what God is trying to teach you through your tendency to avoid responsibility?’  I thought he was crazy at the time.  I told him that I had no idea.  He let it go and gave me absolution.

 

Quozio

“But afterward his question kept nagging at me.  Eventually I took it to prayer.  I went before the Blessed Sacrament and I asked God to help me see what this whole thing was about.  After a few minutes it all kind of just clicked in my head.  When I was a kid, my brother was sick all the time.  He had a genetic disorder that landed him in the hospital periodically.  He died when he was seven and I was ten.  I just remembered how, when he would get sick, I used to try so hard to take care of my parents and stuff. They would be so worried about him.  I’d do the dishes and dust and clean up and all that.  My parents would barely notice, but I didn’t care.  I just wanted them to not worry.  Then, after he died, I just stopped doing anything. I never thought of it before, but it occurred to me that, for me, committing to things, ‘being responsible,’ brought back all that worry and grief about my brother.  At first I thought I was being stupid, that I was making excuses, but then I thought, ‘What if there’s something to this?’  It’s not an excuse.  I still needed to change, but it was a step forward for me to realize that my laziness was really an attempt to avoid dragging up a lot of bad stuff.

 

Pinterest

“After that time in adoration, I watched when those feelings came over me the strongest.  It usually seemed that I got the laziest when I was stressed or worried about something.  I would just shut down.  I started paying closer attention, and when I felt the shutdown feelings coming, I would pray and ask God for the grace to remember that I didn’t need to run away from stress anymore, that I wasn’t a kid and my world wasn’t going to come crashing down on me at any minute just because I was feeling overwhelmed.  Things didn’t change overnight, but with time I really saw God delivering me from my fear of responsibility and commitment.  It’s ironic, but only when I stopped trying so hard was I able to get over this.  God didn’t want me to fix myself.  He wanted me to trust in his love and mercy and let my struggles draw me closer to him so I could be healed buy his love.”

Pinterest

By rejecting judgmentalism in favor of a spirit of curiosity, Jimmy was able to see God moving behind his brokenness and to receive the key to his transformation.  While he still found that he had a lot of work to do, he felt a sense of hope that hadn’t seemed possible before.  Instead of guilt and self-recrimination, he experienced love, mercy, and deeper union with God.  In sum, when we engage our curiosity, we are able to ask God the questions that need to be asked, and to find the answers God is trying to communicate to us.  Curiosity makes us receptive to what God is attempting to do in us.


The above ideas, thoughts, would find better lights and readiness of mind and heart during the quiet moments each one of us spends with Our Lord in daily prayer.  Let us ask Him to enlighten our minds, strengthen our wills and soften our hearts to see and to do what He wants of each of us.  

“A Christian cares for other persons and for the world.  A Christian’s fidelity is a grateful fidelity, because we are not faithful to an idea but to a person.  To Christ Jesus, our Lord, Who, we can each say, “Loved me and gave Himself for me” (Gal 2:20) (Fernando Ocariz, October 10, 2017).

See you in the next post, “May tomorrow be a perfect day; may you find love and laughter along the way; may God keep you in his tender care; ‘til He brings us together again.”

Affectionately,                    

Guadalupinky   

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Life

A Love That Never Gives Up

The Human Connection