Hail Mary Full of Grace

 

September 5, 2023

Aleteia

Hi!  How is each and every one?  We have just started the month of September, one of the months dedicated to Our Lady aside from being her birth month.  September 8 is our Lady’s birthday. Happy birthday, Mama Mary! 

Flowers for you, Mother

St Josemaria Institute

La Bambelina

September 12 is the Holy Name of Mary

St Josemaria Institute

Aleteia

September 15 is Our Lady of Sorrows

 

St Josemaria Institute

and September 24 is Our Lady of Ransom

Catholic Resources:  Our Lady of Torreciudad

St. Josemaria says in Christ is Passing By, Ch 14, 143:  Devotion to our Lady is not something soft and sentimental.  It fills the soul with consolation and joy to precisely the extent that it means a deep act of faith making us go outside ourselves and put our hope in the Lord.  “The Lord is my shepherd,” says one of the psalms, “how can I lack anything?  He gives me a resting-place where there is green pasture, leads me out to the cool water’s brink, refreshed and content.  As in honor pledged by sure paths he leads me; dark be the valley about my path, hurt I fear none while he is with me.”

“Because Mary is our mother, devotion to her teaches us to be authentic sons: to love truly, without limit; to be simple, without the complications which come from selfishly thinking only about ourselves; to be happy, knowing that nothing can destroy our hope.  “The beginning of the way at the end of which you will find yourself completely carried away by love for Jesus, is a trusting love for Mary.”  I wrote that many years ago, in the introduction to a short book on the rosary, and since then I have often experienced the truth of those words.  I am not going to complete that thought here with all sorts of reasons.  I invite you to discover it for yourself, showing your love for Mary, opening your heart to her, confiding to her your joys and sorrow, asking her to help you recognize and follow Jesus.”

The author concludes his book (From Joseph Tissot, How to profit from your faults, pp. 132-133) as follows:

O most good Mother of him who said:  It is not the healthy who need a doctor, and again, forgive seventy times seven.  Will they exhaust your power in the tenderness of your care?  According to your St. Bonaventure, (Spec., ch. 5) your devoted saint, you will go to seek the sinner rejected by all.  You will embrace and warm him.  You will not rest till you have cured him.

Aleteia, Virgin of Oruro, Our Lady of Candelaria, tallest statue of Our Lady in the world, Bolivia

Tuus sum ego, salvum me fac:  I am your patient, save me (Psalm 118 (see 119:94).  Such will be my cry of hope all the days of my exile.  The more I recall my past falls, the more I will remind you that you have the power and goodness to lift me up.  And the more will I rest assured that you have not abandoned me and left me half-cured.

St. Josemaria says in CB, Ch 14, 145:  “If we have this filial contact with Mary, we won’t be able to think just about ourselves and our problems.  Selfish personal problems will find no place in our mind.  Mary brings us to Jesus, and Jesus is “the firstborn among many brothers.”  And so, if we know Jesus, we realize that we can live only by giving ourselves to the service of others.  A Christian can’t be caught up in personal problems; he must be concerned about the universal Church and the salvation of all souls.”

Ibid., Ch 14, 146:  “When we are truly sons of Mary we understand this attitude of our Lord, and our heart expands and becomes tender.  We feel the sufferings, doubts, loneliness and sorrow of all other men, our brothers.  And we urgently want to help them and speak to them about God, so that they can treat him as their Father and understand the motherly care which Mary is offering them.”

Aleteia, Our Lady of Good Counsel

From Joseph Tissot:  My gratitude for your care and the desire to manifest your power will help me to follow your counsels.  I will love you; I will glorify you because you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol (Ps 86: 13).  And finally, in Heaven, I will modestly take my seat among these who owe their salvation to you because in their misery they trusted in you.  I will remain your pride—just as the patient is the pride of the doctor who has snatched him from the portals of death, not only once but several times.  This will be the greatest gain that grace has gained. My very mistakes will become a pedestal to your glory, while at the throne of God’s mercies I will sing forever:  Misericordias Domini in aeternum cantabo—I will sing of thy steadfast love, O Lord, forever (Ps 89:1). Amen!  Amen!  Amen!

The National Shrine of St. John Neumann

St. Josemaria says in CB, Ch 14, 148:  “We can’t forget that Mary spent nearly every day of her life just like millions of other women who look after their family, bring up their children and take care of the house.  Mary sanctifies the ordinary everyday things – what some people wrongly regard as unimportant and insignificant: everyday work, looking after those closest to you, visits to friends and relatives.  What a blessed ordinariness, that can be so full of love of God!

For that’s what explains Mary’s life – her love.  A complete love, so complete that she forgets herself and is happy just to be there where God wants her, fulfilling with care what God wants her to do.  That is why even her slightest action is never routine or vain but, rather, full of meaning.  Mary, our mother, is for us both an example and a way.  We have to try to be like her, in the ordinary circumstances in which God wants us to live.

If we act in this way, we give those around us the example of a simple and normal life which is consistent, even though it has all the limitations and defects which are part and parcel of the human condition.  And when they see that we live the same life as they do, they will ask us:  Why are you so happy?  How do you manage to overcome selfishness and comfort-seeking?  Who has taught you to understand others, to live well and to spend yourself in the service of others?  Then we must disclose to them the divine secret of christian existence. We must speak to them about God, Christ, the Holy Spirit, Mary. The time has come for us to use our poor words to communicate the depth of God’s love which grace has poured into our souls.”

May I invite you to accompany me these days as I bring into my quiet moments in dialogue with the Holy Spirit the above ideas about Mary, Mother of God and our mother.  Let us ask her to teach us how to deal with her and her Son Jesus, that you and I may think of ourselves less and think more of the others. Teach me my mother how to love myself as God our Lord wants me to love myself, that is, by doing His will as you instructed the servants in Cana:  “Do what he tells you.”

See you in the next post, May tomorrow be a perfect day; may you find love and laughter along the way; may God keep you in his tender care; ‘til He brings us together again.”

Affectionately,

Guadalupinky

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Life

A Love That Never Gives Up

The Human Connection